The other week I was asked to bring an appetizer to a bridal shower. Desserts are typically “my thing” so I was lost initially as to what to bring. But thinking through what we love here, it is always Mexican. I hadn’t tried to make a seven layer dip before but loved the idea of it. Aldi is our closest super market and I love it for its prices and the fact that I can buy organic produce if I want. So I made this seven layer dip using ALL Aldi products. Hence, my Aldi 7-layer dip.
(Oh, also, if you note on my photo, I did not have tomatoes on mine. I should have bought them and did not.)
- 1 (16 oz) can Traditional Refried Beans
- 1 (10 oz) can Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder, divided
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Boxed guacamole, both packets (choose your heat intensity!)
- 12 oz . sour cream (give or take some!)
- 1/2 can black olives, (you will need to slice yourself)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 3/4 cups Taco Seasoning cheese blend
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (I used red, but green onion is great too!)
In a medium size mixing bowl stir together refried beans, canned tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread mixture into an even layer in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. This is layer one.
Squeeze both guacamole packets out over the refried beans for the second layer. Spread sour cream over guacamole layer for the third layer. Next sprinkle with cheese (fourth), sliced black olives (fifth) followed by tomatoes (sixth) and finally onions (seventh).
Serve with tortillas chips or use as a quesadilla filling. This dip can be made the day before as long as it is covered and refrigerated until ready to serve.*
*I prefer to serve this heated up because then everything just mixes together deliciously!
Recipe adapted from: Cooking Classy
Let me know if you make it or change it up at all! I love variations 🙂 All of the ingredients can be found at your local Aldi! What’s your favorite appetizer?